Adam Kewley

Side Project: Arduino Harmonograph

A small project I developed over xmas 2018 to produce this Arduino-based device:

[Source Code (GitHub)]

Work Related: PetaGene scores $2.1 M in Funding

My current employment victim, PetaGene, has just scored $2.1 M in funding. Great news for an amazing team!

[TechCrunch story], [Cambridge Independent story]

Cover Design: Sulfone so good for COF catalysis

A cover I designed for the Cooper Group’s work on COF catalysis has been published in Nature Chemistry (article link, screengrab).

This was one of several variations on the design (click for high-res):

Abstract

Although organic photocatalysts are an attractive option for water splitting because they can be tuned relatively easily through synthesis, they tend not to be very efficient. Now, a team led by Andrew Cooper has shown that a covalent organic framework (COF) comprising β-ketoenamine nodes and benzothiophene sulfone-based linkers is a good hydrogen-evolution catalyst (an artistic representation of the process is shown on the cover). Its activity — attributed to the COF’s crystallinity, strong visible-light absorption and the wettable, hydrophilic nature of its sulfone-lined mesopores — can be further improved by dye sensitization.

Jobson 1.0.0

After many weekends and evenings of fixing little bugs, cleaning up the codebase, and polishing the build, I’ve finally managed to publish v1.0.0 of jobson.

I open-sourced jobson late November 2017. The version I demoed here was already close to release-grade in terms of implementation (the server had >200 tests, was used in prod, etc.). However, the deployment, installation, documentation, and maintenance needed work.

For the open-source release, I wanted to make sure that jobson was OSS-grade before putting a 1.0.0 badge on it. The main changes over the last year are:

  • Stabilized all user-facing APIs (CLI, configuration, HTTP). No known breaking changes since Feb 2018.
  • Added more systemtests to ensure the above
  • Reimplemented UI in Typescript
  • Refactored and cleaned up server code
  • Fixed various bugs (race conditions, etc.)
  • Added various features into the specs (better output collection, templating, etc.)
  • Added more datatypes (float, int, long, etc.)
  • Added a lot more documentation, including API documentation
  • Significantly improved the build, which now builds the full stack into Debian packages, Docker images, etc.

I plan on patching 1.0.0 slightly with some little annoyances I spotted (immediately after deploying, of course), followed by another round of YouTube videos and other media. After that, it’s time to start slowly chipping away at 1.1.0.

Side Project: Live Demos

After several days of faffing around with Docker and build systems, I’ve finally managed to launch a demo’s page here. I’ll eventually integrate these into my about page, but they’re at least a useful resource for showing some of the technologies I’ve worked with.

One useful side-product of this work is that Jobson now has a basic docker image, which enables users to boot a pre-integrated Jobson UI + Jobson stack.

The Demos: